Danbury Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
PART-TIME CUSTODIAN - Westside Middle School Academy
at Danbury Public Schools
Openings as of 3/24/2019
- PART-TIME CUSTODIAN - Westside Middle School Academy JobID: 3648
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Westside Middle School Academy
- Closing Date:
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
- Cleans assigned facilities and/or grounds (e.g. classrooms, offices, gym, restrooms, cafeteria, multipurpose rooms, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Performs minor, job related, maintenance on custodial equipment, classroom furniture and fixtures (e.g. change vacuum cleaner belts, bags, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring proper functioning and usability of items.
- Performs summer maintenance (e.g. strip/wax floors, moves furniture, painting, etc.) for the purpose of completing and/or facilitating summer construction.
- Prepares site for daily operations (e.g. opening gates, raising flags, sweeping walkway, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and hazard free.
- Replenishes classroom and rest room supplies (e.g. paper towels, soap, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate quantities for daily use.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, vandalism, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Assist in maintaining seasonal grounds work (i.e. snow removal)
- Performs work at heights of up to 12 feet using ladders and/or scaffolding for the purpose of cleaning, changing light bulbs, replacing ceiling tiles, etc.
- Daily attendance and punctuality are required for the purpose of ensuring the goals of the work unit can be met.
- Secures facilities and grounds (e.g. doors, gates, alarms, lights, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and/or potential liability.
- Supports District maintenance staff (e.g. grounds, trades, general maintenance, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities.
- Attends in-service training (e.g., instruction on blood-borne pathogens, cleaning solvents, floor care, first aid, etc.) for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, products and equipment
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System
- Ability to read and understand labels and instructions, particularly on the use and application of cleaning chemicals and products
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Team building Skills
- Decision making skills
- Problem solving skills
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Time management skills
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- 19 1/2 hour position from 5-9p.m. Mon-Fri, 5-8:30p.m. Friday
- Hours of work may be adjusted to meet the needs of the district.
- Part-time position - $11.00 per hour, no benefits
The job of Custodian was established for the purpose/s of providing custodial services at assigned site(s); ensuring an attractive, sanitary and safe environment for students, staff and visitors; performing a variety of special cleaning operations; and assisting in preparing facilities for classroom activities and campus events
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The Custodial is a physically demanding position. The incumbent must spend the entire time at work standing, walking, lifting heavy objects, operating medium weight cleaning equipment such
as floor buffers, sweeping and mopping floors and moving desks and furniture. The incumbent isrequired to do a great deal of stretching and bending, often in awkward positions. Operating floor
polishers and waxers are particularly hard on back muscles.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cleaning supplies, pails and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 100 pounds such as salt and bulk furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Please go on-line at www.danbury.k12.ct.us job listings