Easton, Redding & Region 9 Public School Districts
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Central Office: Senior Accountant
at Easton, Redding & Region 9 Public School Districts
Pay: $70000 to $76000/year
– 12-month position<br><br><strong> </strong> In the $70,000 to $76,000 range
Job Reference #: 710
Openings as of 4/21/2019
Central Office Support Staff
- Central Office: Senior Accountant JobID: 710
- Position Type:
Central Office Support Staff
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
Until Filled Easton, Redding and Region 9 School Districts
- Oversees and maintains financial accounting systems (school budgets, grants, Capital Reserve) for all three Boards of Education, including but not limited to budget transfers, creating new General Ledger accounts, accounts review, journal entries, encumbrance entries and review, proper account coding review, problem solver.
- Prepares financial and other budget reports, including grants, monthly, at fiscal year-end, and as requested.
- Supports annual budget entry processes for three school districts, ensuring standardization, consistency and supporting detail.
- Cooperates with auditors and provides information as requested in support of annual audit requirements for two towns and one independent regional school district
- Manages grants: budgets, cash management, revisions, monthly and yearly reporting, as well as other grant-related responsibilities.
- Prepares and submits state and federal reporting as required for each of the three school districts (i.e., ED111 – Grant Cash Management; ED001 – End of Year School Report; ED141 – Year-End Grant Reporting).
- Reviews bi-weekly payroll reports and corresponding federal and state tax filings.
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of the financial software, currently Sungard/ Phoenix and provides support for end users.
- Coordinates and implements purchasing procedures for the three school systems.
- Reconciles school financial information to the records of the Towns of Easton and Redding to keep in balance.
- Supervises the Accounts Payable clerk.
- Posts all check payments received for the three school systems and Central Office to the appropriate accounts, including processing bank deposits as needed.
- Prepares bi-weekly Cash Reports for each school district to the applicable Town of Easton or Redding to fund Accounts Payable and Payroll.
- Prepares bi-weekly transfers to fund appropriate payroll accounts.
- Reconciles bank statements for 13 accounts on a monthly basis.
- Reconciles General Ledger for Region 9, Central Office and the grant accounts of all three districts.
- Posts monthly USI pension reports to the General Ledger for Region 9.
- Meets regularly with the Director of Finance & Operations pertaining to financial matters.
- Works closely with the Manager of Human Resources and the Payroll Clerks to ensure accurate payroll, accounting and procedures related to personnel.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in the accounting function within a school or non-profit setting.
- Ability to work independently, to organize work and to manage details.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all constituents, using proper grammar and vocabulary.
- Ability to keep matters confidential relating to personnel, students, administration and all other data as found in a school business office.
- Ability to multi-task and switch priorities as needed.
- A formal letter of application addressed to Scott Reiss, Director of Finance & Operations
- Three recent letters of recommendation
- Transcripts (official transcripts will be required at the time of hire)
654 Morehouse Road, PO Box 500, Easton, CT
Summary: Overall control of the accounting functions of the three separate school systems in budget management, establishment and monitoring of grant accounts, and administratively reviewing a variety of accounting and bookkeeping procedures including Accounts Payable and cash management. Effectively supports the business office staff and purchasing personnel in the five schools to enable a smooth flow of business processes. Attention to detail and compliance with established processes/policies is essential.
Available: Immediate Opening
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. – 12-month position
Salary: In the $70,000 to $76,000 range, depending on experience
Essential Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Application Process: Applications will only be accepted online at the district Web site: and must include: